The day started with the cutting of the lawn.  It was a job that was well overdue, this fact turned it into a mess.  The grass was so long that the middle setting on the mower made it splutter and stall with even ridiculously short distances.  Instead I had to settle with giving the garden only a light trim.

Throughout the trimming the bees looked a little unnerving as they crawled over the front of the hive several hundred strong per hive.  The reason was their medical treatment in the form of a very strongly smelling chemical called thymol. When the thymol is in the hive they prefer to hang outside and enjoy the fresh air when given the option.  The thymol was even strong enough to be detected as I cut the grass near them.  The bees need another three weeks of their medicine as a prophylactic.  At least the feeding will start soon and they do say that a spoonful of sugar will help.  Ten kilograms of sugar should help even more.

After the garden I moved into the garage and began work on a fridge freezer that we are looking after for a few months.  We intend to put it to use while it is with us but it is broken and in need of repair.  It is a shame that, as with this freezer, most fridges and freezers that end up on scrap heaps usually have fully working refrigeration systems.  It is usually just a seal or hinge that needs fixing to restore its purpose.  In this case the hinges were broken and two pieces of angle iron and some screws were all that was needed to get it back on its feet.


Its ugly but it works.

After lunch we found ourselves pushing the little man around town and that is when the incident happened that found the lovely Sharon looking at me in confusion wondering why I was not ripping off my shirt in Holland and Barrets.  She was at the counter paying for some cardboard flavoured cereal bars and I was just standing by the pram making strange noises at the little man.  Then I felt a sharp pain on the left side of my chest.  My hand instantly clutched my chest in a move that must have looked like a heart attack, but I knew straight away that it was more like the attack of a bee.  It felt exactly like a bee sting.  Seconds passed as I just stood clutching my chest with a look of confusion.  Then the pain came back again, and again, and again all down my arm.  It was then that I knew that this was no bee but its carnivorous cousin; the wasp!  My hand slapped the area of the last sting and I could definitely feel a lifeless wasp sized lump under my palm.  It was then that I raised all the decorum I could muster and politely informed the lovely Sharon that I had to leave and find a toilet as I had a wasp under my shirt that had just repeatedly stung me.

It turns out that my reaction to the stings was worse than any of the bee stings I have had so far.  I have also been stung by wasps on several occasions in the past but this time each sting had swollen up quite a lot and each had a large radiating rash in a circle around each sting.  The wasp was found and disposed of mercilessly as I wondered how it got inside my shirt and how long it had been there.  The stings have all settled down now so much that they cannot be found just by looking.  This has not pleased the lovely Sharon who swells up into week long lumps when a mere midge fly even contemplates biting her.