In our experiments with making preserves we decided to try some crab apple jelly. We have a crab apple tree in the garden that produces a large crop of apples. The only problem is there size. I strapped the little man to my back and we all went out to strip the tree. A massive 2kg of crab apples were gathered.

I then spent an hour or so de-stalking them and chopping them. The apples were then stewed and then hung to allow all the juices to strain out overnight. This is where the problem arose. Even though I estimate that I chopped about six hundred ridiculously tiny apples, we only got three small jars of jelly. Something went wrong somewhere, and I don’t know where.

Advertisements